Elderberries are one of the most commonly used medicinal plants in the world. They have been used by Native Americans to treat infections, and the ancients Egyptians used them to heal burns and improve their complexions. Today, they are still gathered and used in folk medicine in Europe and North America. There are many reported benefits of elderberries, and there are studies being conducted that look into their health benefits.
Listed below are some Elderberry health benefits.
1. Helps Fight Colds and Flu. Elderberries have been used for centuries to help treat colds and flu. There is some evidence to support these claims from some studies. A systematic review from 2010 concluded that elderberries may have antioxidant antiviral effects. The study’s author stated that more research is needed. A double-blind, randomized control trial tested if elderberry extract could prevent people from experiencing cold-like symptoms after traveling on an airplane. People in the study were given lozenges containing 300 mg of elderberry extract and 150 mg of rice flour twice a day for ten days before traveling. Researchers found that the lozenges did not prevent the cold-like symptoms. However, people who have taken elderberry extract had less severe symptoms and their symptoms lasted for less time.
2. Reduces Wrinkles. Elderberries contain high levels of vitamin A. The ANA claims that Elderberries may soothe the skin, prevent or lessen the appearance of wrinkles, and reduce the appearance of age spots.
3. Can Help With Weight Loss. Like most fruits, Elderberries are high in fiber. In a German study, participants who take elderberry juice enriched with elderberry flower and extracts saw significant improvements in weight regulation.
4. Improved Digestive Health. There is more research needing to be done here. However, elderberries are a great source of fiber and can help improve digestion. The fiber can help treat other digestive issues like bloating, gas, upset stomach, and constipation.
5. Improved Heart Health. Elderberries are rich in potassium, so they can help regulate blood pressure and ensure that the blood vessels are relaxed. High potassium diets have been found to reduce the strain on the heart. Studies have found that people taking high amounts of potassium (not excessive) had 49 percent less risk of death by ischemic heart disease. Some sources claim that elderberries can help regulate cholesterol levels and boost circulation. Elderberries contain beneficial compounds called anthocyanins. Anthocyanins protect the inner layer of blood vessels from oxidative stress. This protects the cells from inflammatory stressors, improves circulation and reduces the risk of heart disease.
6. Strengthen Bones. Elderberries contain potassium, iron, and calcium, which are known to strengthen bones, increase bone mineral density, and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. The anthocyanins may also prevent bone loss in certain. More studies need to be done, so you should consult your doctor before taking Elderberries for bone health.
7. Can Help Prevent Cancer. There are scientists from around the world who are testing the effectiveness of elderberries in cancer treatments, with some success. The success could be attributed to the quercetin in elderberries, which is known to stimulate the immune system and aid in treatment of cancer. Other studies found that elderberries could be a treatment for prostate cancer. This could be due to the berries inhibiting the hedgehog signaling, which is a biochemical process linked to cancer.
8. Helps Treat Diabetes. Studies suggest that elderberries can help lower blood sugar levels, and aiding with diabetes treatment. Research is limited, so it is recommended to speak with your doctor before changing treatments.
9. Improved Vision. Health Elderberries are rich in Vitamins A and B5, which can help prevent serious vision ailments including macular degeneration and glaucoma. The antioxidants in elderberries may also help improve a person’s vision health in the long run.
10. Fights Inflammation. There are a number of studies that talk about the anti-inflammatory properties of elderberries. The berries have even been used to treat eye inflammation. They also help fight oxidative stress, which helps reduce inflammation in the body.
11. Improved Hair and Skin Health. Along with helping reduce the look of wrinkles, Elderberries are also used as a detoxifying agent and helps treat and prevent acne, scars, and boils. This is due to the anthocyanins in the berries, which is the compounds that give the berries their color. Distilled elderberry flower water is used to lighten freckles and improved skin health. The fruit extract applied directly to the skin can also reduce bruising and inflammation. The elderflower oil can also be used to treat your hair. You just need to mix the elderflower oil with your other favorite oils that are safe to apply to the skin and apple to the problem areas of the scalp.
12. Improve Brain Health. One study found that anthocyanins in berries, including elderberries, can help treat cognitive impairments and resultant conditions like Alzheimer’s. Studies also found that Elderberries are replete with quercetin, which is an important flavonoid which is critical for brain health. Quercetin reduces harmful inflammation at the cellular level. It also activates mitochondria in the cells.
13. Helps Treat Urinary Tract Infections. There is very little research on this subject. There are certain sources that claim that elderberry juice can reduce inflammation in the urinary tract and treat urinary infections.
14. Allergy Relief. Elderberry’s anti-inflammatory and immune-stimulating properties make them a great natural remedy for allergy symptoms. Allergies cause inflammation of the sinuses, itchy, sneezing, watery eyes, swelling, and a stuffy or a runny nose. Elderberries are believed to be particularly good for people who suffer from hay fever because it strengthens the upper respiratory tract. Elderberries also have an anti-catarrhal action, which can help reduce congestion and runny nose caused by allergies.
Side Effects of Raw Elderberries
People can eat elderflowers cooked or raw. However, Elderberries need to be cooked to be safe to eat. Raw elderberries, seeds, leaves, and bark of the tree all contain a toxic substance that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
With cold and flu season right around the corner, it is time to start thinking about how you are going to treat the symptoms and protect yourself and family from these illnesses. Making Elderberry Syrup is not a complex process and only takes a few hours at the most. Some natural stores also sell premade Elderberry Syrup and other Elderberry products if you do not have the supplies to make your own. There are a variety of techniques that can be used to make elderberry syrup. This recipe is easy and the elderberry syrup can last up 3 months in the fridge.
Things you will need:
At Least 2/3 cup of Elderberries (Fresh or Frozen)
½ cup of Honey (Local, raw honey is recommended)
Potato Ricer or a Herb Press or Your Hands Fine Cheesecloth or Nut Milk Bag Glass Jar Mini Funnel for Bottling
Small Glass Bottles
Steps: 1. Clean the Elderberries and place them in a pot. Add 2 tbsp. or more water in the pot. Simmer until juicy. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool until it is cool enough to be handled.
2. Line the glass jar with the cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Place the Potato Ricer on top.
3. Transfer Elderberries and juice into the Potato Ricer. The Elderberry Juice will drip through the nut milk bag into the glass jar.
4. Press the potato ricer to extract all the juices. If you are using your hands, you should really wear gloves because the elderberry juice can stain the skin.
5. Transfer the elderberry juice back into the pot and simmer to reduce the juices a bit. Remove the pot from the heat and let the liquid cool until it is lukewarm.
6. Add the Honey to the juices you have in the pot, and stir well.
7. Take the pot off the heat, and transfer the liquid with the funnel into the glass bottles. Let the liquid cool before using it. Store the Elderberry Syrup in the fridge and take a tablespoon daily for immune boosting properties.
Some recipes will also add ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and other herbs that are known for their health benefits, to add a pleasant flavor to the syrup. You should use what you have available, and adjust the recipe so you enjoy the flavour. With all the benefits that Elderberries offer, it is definitely worth trying to incorporate elderberries into your diet. Even a tablespoon of Elderberry syrup can provide you with some of the many health benefits listed above. No matter if you make your own syrup or buy premade made syrup from your local health food or natural store, the bottom line is that elderberries are great for your overall health.
Carpets can be great solutions to flooring, especially if you have small children. Though there are a lot of perks to having carpet, like natural insulation, soft padding, and variety of styles, carpets are also prone to a lot of bad things too. From loads of hidden bacteria to potential water damage, carpets require some extra steps in their maintenance that other types of flooring do not require. This doesn’t mean that you should get rid of your carpets. In fact, if you have children or pets, carpet is encouraged because it helps lower the risk of potential injury. Just be aware of the extra precautions you must take when it comes to having a carpet floor.
Let’s go over some of the biggest trouble areas and how to get the best quality out of your carpets.
The biggest complaint people have is that their carpets start to smell over time. This could be caused by a variety of reasons, from water damage to animal accidents. The hardest part of carpets is locating the source of the smell. The bad smell is most likely caused by mold/mildew that has grown within your carpet. This is a really bad sign, because that could ruin your home structure. These molds and mildew could also cause or make respiratory problems worse in your family, yourself or anyone in the household
A number one cause of bad smells is pet vomit or urine–sometimes cats and dogs can take to going to the toilet in the home, resulting in smelly wet carpets. Your best bet is to go to a pet trainer and get your carpets professionally cleaned.
If your carpet is wet, this could mean the end for your floors. But don’t fear. Before you call it an end, there are some things that you can do to fix it. Leave all your windows and doors wide open to ventilate the house. A dehumidifier will save your life because it works to suck the moisture right out of the carpet. Vinegar is an all-natural solution that helps with so many different problemsand this includes wet carpets. Spraying vinegar with water in your carpet will help remove the bacteria that developed on the damp carpet so that it cannot turninto mold/mildew. These are the things you should do right away, but they are not all you need to do. It is extremely important to call a team of professionals, especially if the water damage is extensive. They will make sure that your carpet is repaired and shining like it had never encountered water in the first place.
Finally, the old carpet. A common issue that a lot of people don’t think about. The older the carpet, the more hidden bacteria and germs could be lying in wait to make you and your family sick. If your carpet is over 6 years old, it might be time to replace it. This is especially true if you bought the house or are renting a place that already has carpet. You don’t know what the previous owners spilt or did with it. There could be any number of different typesof disease waiting to strike. Inspect the carpet as soon as possible, before moving in furniture or even before purchasing if possible. This ensures that you aren’t getting yourself into any potential repairs that could have been avoided. Don’t worry if you don’t have the funds for a full replacement, maybe getting a deep clean could have the same effect. Dry cleaning acts to give your carpet a refresher and seem new. It isn’t the same as getting an entirely new carpet, but it will give the existing carpet some extra life
Losing your hearing is generally something that happens gradually as we age but it can happen at any point in our lives young and old. At first we notice that we’re not following conversations particularly well, especially when there are several people talking, then the television volume levels creep up, finally we have to admit that we’re struggling.
It’s not an easy admission to make to yourself, even harder to admit to other people but as with all medical issues, the sooner it gets dealt with, the sooner you can find a workable and practical solution. The good thing about hearing issues are that there are solutions out there and they’re not as cumbersome or as obvious as you might think.
If you are recommended to wearing a hearing aid, you’ll want to know which one is the right one for you. You can learn more here and from our handy guide below.
In the ear options
When you’re looking for a little discretion and don’t want people to focus in on your hearing aid, there are some very smart, very discreet options out there that will suit you down to the ground.
These hidden aids are still powerful but they’re not the cumbersome versions of yesteryear. They can be placed just inside the ear and are generally the color of your own skin tone to be even more hidden. There are several different versions so talk to your hearing specialist about which option will answer your needs and help your hearing and self-confidence.
Behind-the-ear options are still on the market but if you have an image in your mind of large, unwieldy contraptions with lots of wires, think again.
These days their modern designs mean they are much smaller and tuck behind the ear very snugly.
Like the in-ear versions you’ll be able to choose from a range of wiring options and colors and will be pleasantly surprised at how easy they are to operate remove and replace.
Worn on the body
If you currently wear glasses you might be able to have your hearing aid fitted into the arm of your glasses that sits behind your ears. Combining your aid with your glasses is the perfect way of providing a two-in-one solution and means that wearing your hearing aid will become as natural as putting on your glasses when you get out of bed in the morning.
A discreet and stylish option that means no one will need to know that you’re wearing one.
For those who can’t wear hearing aids in or behind the ear there are other options available such as bone conducting devices that are attached to the skull and packs that are worn on the body. Talk to your specialist to decide which device will work best for you.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms described earlier on, don’t panic, it’s more than likely that there will be a workable solution for you that will suit your style, budget and lifestyle down to the ground.
Have a look on lifestyle blogs that discuss hearing loss for some reassurance and take back control today.
If you love helping and working with kids then a career with children is a great option for you. There are a few ways you can start a career working with children, it isn’t always easy to get into a new career, but here are a few tips to help you on the way to the career you want.P
Becoming a school counselor is very rewarding if you enjoy helping children. It’s not easy to become a school counselor as you will have to gain a qualification to do so. When doing your qualification you can do a school counseling masters online, which will allow you to stay at home while studying and which will make it easier to work around your current job. Working in a school also has its advantages, you will have school holidays off as school won’t be open and you will also get to work with alot of children that you can impact as they make their way into adulthood.
If you want to work with young children then becoming a nursery teacher is a great option for you. To become a nursery teacher then you will need to have a early years teacher qualification and a background check done to make sure you have no child-related convictions. Being a nursery teacher means you in charge of getting the children ready for when they enter school. This means you are the one that gives them the best chance of success in school and gets them ready for there future education.
Become a childminder
If you want to help look after children and become a big part of their life then becoming a childminder is a great career option for you. If you want o become a chilminder then you need to register first, once you are registered you will be able to childmind children and look after them for as long as you are needed. Becoming a childminder is a great career if you want to be your own boss. If you are a childminder you will be self-employed and you can set your own rates to charge for your services, this adds a range of flexibility to your career to work it around your life and your home situation. As a childminder, you can also choose if you would like to mind children in your own home or at the families home which adds a further degree of flexibility to the job role.
Working with children is a rewarding role especially if you love children and helping them. Helping children at any point in their life is going to play a big part in there future so when you are teaching or looking after a child you need to remember that you are there to guide and help those children to be the best they can be. With these tips, it will give you some great ideas to fulfill your ambition to work with and help children.
Most people are pretty good at making improvements to the interior of their home, mostly because it’s where they spend the most time. They have more of an opportunity to see all the areas that could be improved. But the exterior? That’s a different matter. Homeowners normally only return to their properties once or twice a day, and rarely take the time to inspect what areas could be better. But your home’s curb appeal really is important: it influences the overall feel of the house, boosts value, and shows the world that you care about your property. Below, we take a look at four low-effort ways you can make the outside of your home better than it currently is.
How much of a difference can a door make? Quite a lot, actually! If your current front door is looking a little bit tired and faded, then it’s time to get out the paintbrush and give it a bit of life again. The general rule, when it comes to homes, is that everything you paint should be neutral colors, but the rules are laxer when it comes to front doors. You can choose a color that’s a little bit bolder than your average; in fact, it’s encouraged. It’ll make your property stand out from the crowd.
Get Professional Help
If you have a large front, then there’s a chance you look at it and think “I’d rather be doing anything else than making that look good all the year round.” And sure, that’s understandable: you have enough work to do, you don’t want to get onto your hands and knees when you return after a long day, and the weekends are for having fun and relaxing. Fortunately, it is possible to have a beautiful yard – front and back – without exerting any energy whatsoever. It’s all about working with the experts. Hire a residential landscaping company to handle the exterior of your property, and you’ll always have a beautiful outdoor space to greet you when you return home. And it won’t eat into your free time whatsoever.
Deep Wash The Driveway
Your driveway will always be prone to accumulating dirt and grime, especially if you’re parking your car there. Over a period of a few years, your once sparkling driveway might suddenly look a little worse for wear. But fear not, because it’s usually just surface issues. Buy or rent a deep clean power washer, and you’ll be able to quickly blast all that dirt away.
If you’ve put all this effort into boosting your home’s curb appeal, then show it off to the world. Outside lights are a great way to highlight your home throughout the night, and put it on display for all the people who walk past. And this approach comes with the bonus of deterring would-be criminals from targeting your home, too.
Take the steps above, and you’ll have significantly improved the exterior look of your property. Is it now as beautiful as the interior?
Gardening is supposed to be fun and cathartic, yet it can be stressful and time-consuming. Too many of us freak out because there aren’t enough hours in a day and there is too much to do. So much for a relaxing hobby!
Obviously, the key is to be efficient with your seconds to make life easier. However, it’s easier to say it than it is to put it into practice. What you need is a list of awesome hacks which can half your time in the backyard with minimal fuss.
As it turns out, you’ve come to the right place because below you’ll find such a list.
Feed The Soil
Most of the time you spend in the garden is dealing with the earth. If the ground isn’t fertile enough, then nothing will grow properly and your plants and flowers will die. So, it’s tiring work checking the PH levels on a daily basis. The good news is you don’t have to as long as you feed the soil regularly. As long as the levels are on point, all you have to do then is add mulch or compost every couple of days. Do it properly once and it’s plain sailing from there.
The last thing you need is high maintenance greenery as it will force you to trudge out into the garden morning, noon and night. Instead, opt for the vegetation which can take care of itself, or only requires a small amount of your time. A “Blazing Star” is a prime example as it doesn’t need lots of water and usually grows in most soils. Thespruce.com has plenty of alternatives if you want inspiration. Anything which doesn’t need deadheading, pinching or staking should be high up on your bucket list too.
Invest In Equipment
Yes, the right tools will cost quite a lot of money depending on your needs, but forget about money and focus on time. Without a sprayer and spray nozzle from fertilizerdealer.com, you can’t cover the garden with nutrients in a matter of seconds. Instead, you have to do it by hand. The same goes for common tools such as lawn mowers. Don’t bother with the hand-held stuff; opt for the motorized version instead. The more machinery you have doing the heavy lifting, the less work you have to do. Just make sure you need it before splashing out or else you may break the bank.
Group Plants Properly
Typically, gardeners will group plants based on their features. For example, the space savers will go next to the flowers which only need a small amount of room. That way, there is no fatal competition. Although it makes sense, it means wasting time catering to every individual plant. It’s much better to put the ones with the same traits in one area and deal with them together. For instance, you can soak flowers which drink lots of water with the hosepipe and move onto the next group.
Are you a time-waster in the garden? Can you beat the clock?