Seven Green Cleaning and Lifestyle Tips to Reduce Flu Risk
Maid Brigade Shares Ways to Limit Flu Exposure
More than 200,000 people, including an average of 20,000 children under the age of five, are hospitalized each year because of flu-related complications – according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Children, the elderly, and people with long-term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, and heart disease are at an even greater risk.
The CDC says a flu vaccine is one of the best ways to guard against the flu and recommends that everyone six months and older get the vaccine every year. National Influenza Vaccination Week (NIVW), Dec. 4 to 10, was established by the CDC to highlight the importance of continuing influenza vaccination and encourage greater use of flu vaccine after the holiday season.
Maid Brigade – the leading green cleaning services company – offers the following green cleaning and lifestyle tips to help protect you and your family from this potentially life-threatening illness.
- Thoroughly wipe down and disinfect doorknobs, desks, bedside tables, bathroom surfaces, kitchen counters, and children’s toys, as these are the most germ-contaminated areas of the home. According to the CDC, flu viruses (including H1N1) can survive between eight and 12 hours on paper or cloth and 24 to 48 hours on non-porous surfaces like doorknobs or desks.
- Use natural products such as vinegar and water when cleaning and disinfecting to limit exposure to toxic chemicals found in commercial cleaners.
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water for at least 15 seconds. When washing hands in public places, use a paper towel to shut off the faucet and to open the bathroom door on the way out to limit contact with flu germs.
- Drink a lot of fluids including water, hot tea, and soup to stay hydrated. Peppermint flavor teas clear nasal congestion and open up your airways. Healthy soup options can provide a full serving of phytochemical-rich root vegetables and protein-rich meats or beans.
- Take vitamins every day like Vitamin C and Zinc. Vitamin C is an important antioxidant proven to shorten the duration of the flu. Zinc is an herb that has been used for centuries to help bolster the immune system.
- Exercise daily to maintain a healthy body weight and reduce stress. Taking a brisk walk for just 30 minutes a day is a great way to elevate your heart rate and escape the stressors of the day.
- Limit contact with others who have flu symptoms. If you or your children contract the flu, stay home from work or keep children out of school.
For more tips to protect your family from the flu, visit www.cdc.gov/flu.
About Maid Brigade: Maid Brigade cares about the health of today’s families. With more than 25 years of experience, the company is the national leader in green cleaning practices and has a longstanding legacy of offering the latest in maid services and technologies. Maid Brigade is the first and only Green Clean Certified® housekeeping services franchise that implements a certification program for green house cleaning so customers know that they’re getting a green cleaning that is safe and truly green. For more information on Maid Brigade or for healthy living cleaning tips visit www.maidbrigade.com or http://blog.maidbrigade.com.